The benefits of almond oil
Lightweight in texture and pale golden-brown, almond oil is extracted from sweet almonds (the oil from bitter almonds are extremely poisonous, so should be avoided!) and has a long and extensive history, dating back to Egyptian times, when it was prized for use in many beauty practices, and still is to this day.
Almond oil is one of the most effective oils for improving the condition of the skin and hair, comparable to many powerful skin and hair care products but without the price tag or side effects. Let’s have a look at some of the reasons we should all be going nuts over almond oil!
For the skin
- To moisturise the skin - Almond oil is an excellent emollient, locking moisture inside the skin. Apply it to both your body and face straight after a shower or bath for maximum benefits.
- For a youthful glow - Don’t waste your money on expensive and additive-laden skin-care products or cosmetics. Almond oil is fantastic for reducing fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin. It combats ageing by destroying free radicals and provides the nutrients that your skin requires to repair itself. Just a few drops are required, and regular use will result in a smooth, healthy, more youthful appearance.
- To improve dark under-eye circles - Before going to bed, apply a few drops of almond oil under your eyes, gently massage and leave overnight. Almond oil really boosts blood circulation near the eyes and when applied regularly, it will noticeably improve dark circles.
- To treat dry and dull skin - If you have dry skin on either your face or body, almond oil is the best oil for skin massage and is great for healing dry skin conditions. Within a few weeks of regular application, you will find your skin improving, with less flaking and cracking.
- To repair chapped lips - If you suffer from cracked or chapped lips, try using almond oil instead of a chapstick. As well as a pleasant taste, you'll love the results!
- To remove make-up - Put a few drops of almond oil onto a cotton pad and just wipe across your face as a make-up remover. Any make-up will adhere to the cotton pad and no rinsing is required.
- As an exfoliator - Mix a teaspoon of almond oil and a teaspoon of sugar together and massage onto your face in small circular motions to get rid of dead skin cells and blackheads.
- As massage oil - Almond oil is widely acclaimed and is recognised as the one most popular and effective oils used by massage therapists. It has low viscosity (meaning it spreads easily) and is thin and light.
- As a sunscreen - Almond oil can be used as a light and effective barrier from potentially harmful UVA and UVB rays, with a natural sun protection factor of 6. Thanks to its abundance of vitamin E, it will also work to rejuvenate and hydrate the skin during and after sun exposure.
- To diminish stretch mark – Massaging almond oil regularly onto stretchmarks will improve and fade their appearance, as well as toning and softening the skin.
For the hair
- To improve dandruff - For many people, dandruff is aggravated by a dry scalp; almond oil will really improve any flakiness. Just apply a small amount of oil directly onto the scalp and massage into the roots of your hair. Rinse off 30 minutes later. Any dandruff should be gone after just 3 treatments - far more effective and inexpensive than other dandruff treatments!
- To relieve an itchy, inflamed scalp - Almond oil has soothing properties which will relieve any itching caused by a dry or scaly scalp. It will also reduce any inflammation caused by infections and aid in the healing process.
- To strengthen your hair - Almond oil provides essential minerals for healthy hair growth. Through regular application of the oil, your hair will naturally grows thicker and stronger. It also promotes a lustrous and attractive shine.
- To control hair loss - The regular and continued use of almond oil on your hair and scalp can help to reduce hair loss and promote healthy hair growth.
- For shiny hair - Applying a small amount of almond oil to your hair shafts will increase the gloss and shine of your hair. Only a small amount is required and is even more effective on wet hair.
- For detangling hair - Dab a few drops of almond oil onto your hair as a wonderful detangler.
- For split ends - Apply a small amount of almond oil to your hair ends to reduce split ends.
- As a hot oil treatment - Almond oil makes a fantastic hot oil treatment for your hair. Just warm up a small amount and massage it into your hair and scalp. Then cover your hair with a shower cap or towel and leave it on for 2 - 3 hours, rinsing off with cool water. This treatment can be done once a week or so, to provide deep conditioning to the hair for soft, lustrous locks.